Thursday, September 13, 2007

Vitamins help

Because I took two today and felt great, really fantastic, coffee fantastic. Plus ONE egg salad sandwich from trader joe's. I felt great, good enough for kickboxing. Then I went home, and drank coffee. At seven o'clock at night I drink this coffee, because I've decided that I WILL finish the story that's been giving me thought cancer for the past two weeks. It's kind of an amazing experience, well not so amazing really, pretty drab actually, to gear up for an evening of writing. Coffee, dinner, kambucha, shower, Pink Floyd's Echoes, repeat, text two people, one of them a woman, the other who might as well be, chess, stare out window, stare out door, check email, repeat. Four hours later. Blah.

So I'm not sure how all that connects to my question, which is: is there a best time to write? I mean, for each individual, do we have a peak time? For instance, doing kickboxing at six AM is a really bad thing. My kickboxing will be bad at six AM. I get these anxieties that I'm not *supposed* to be writing sometimes, as though I'll make better choices in my stories if I write at this time, as opposed to that time.

Please note that I'm not complaining. Having the ability to set aside an entire evening to write is a big deal these days. They don't happen too often. And as school and life gear up, I see them happening less and less.

Cheers.

Nick, sweetie, Wednesday?

5 comments:

Jen said...

hmmm...in my perfect world I would have a locked-in time to write, say, oh, 7 to 10 pm every weeknight and some big chunk of time on the weekends. Let's say 11 to 4. This is never actually my reality, and we could talk about why that is, but that would probably steer us far afield of the actual question and deep into issues that'd be better discussed in therapy.

I can also say that my "locked-in time" would never be, say, 5 am to 8 am as it is for some people. why? because I find getting up in the dark to do anything to be a soft form of torture, and I don't want to equate writing with torture anymore than I already do.

xtian said...

i've become morning writer. as in i'm mourning that i get up so early now. but i get more done, the brain is less conscious and coffee tastes the best. plus if i get writing done early, way less tortured guilt later in the day. this is still in theory mode. i just don't like writing on this inelegant steel trap mac. i prefer my sleek black powerbook. it felt smooth to the touch.

Nick said...

I write whenever I can.

But never at Dusk. Oh no, never at Dusk.

Ella C. Rotta said...

Dusk is terribly dangerous.

I'm working on waking at 6:45, making a cup of tea, then writing until, oh, say, 7:30. I've been working on this for two weeks. So far, I have been completely unsuccessful.

Bridget said...

Have a kid.

No really.

Before I used to "write" by snacking, and dancing around the house, and downloading new music, and lighting candles, and blowing them out, and taking long baths to "think" about what it is I wanted to write, and calling long distance to discuss writing, and going to a cafe to inspire a writing self.

Now I pay $15 an hour to write in my kitchen and I'll tell you--unshowered and without candles or coffee or music--never before have I written so much.