Thursday, September 13, 2007

Random Thoughts While Listening To Mama Cass

- There are giant billboards around Los Angeles for the show DEXTER with his smiling face dotted with blood next to the tag line, THE RETURN OF AMERICA'S FAVORITE SERIAL KILLER. This image towers over the corner of Hollywood and Highland and greets children from all over the world next to the Disney theater. I am offended.

- I am watching many episodes of THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW on youtube that some prince has been posting. Possibly the greatest tv show ever next to SCTV. I said possibly. THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW might beat them.

- I arrived home cranky only to find a package stuffed in my door that I knew could only be one thing: the long awaited soundtrack to PUFNSTUF - THE MOVIE from 1970, which I saw in the theater and never forgot. Especially the catchy songs and the one by Mama Cass called "Different." You can't help but feel good listening to the soundtrack to PUFNSTUF - THE MOVIE.

- There is a stunning woman in sweatshorts and heels sitting across from me. I hope she's writing about me too.

- I like the word "September" because it means the word "October" is coming. And that means Halloween.

- Rush is truly a great band.

8 comments:

Jen said...

first off, what are sweat shorts? and if they are what they sound like, do they really, honestly go with heels?

and if in LA they do, well all I have to say is that is So LA.

And Xtian, if you have reached the point where sweat shorts and heels are a turn on for you, then you my dear are So LA too! Get thee to portland before you're too sick to flee...

where's the dirty hot french nanny and her feather duster?

xtian said...

she was stunning despite the proto-la gear. yes, sweat shorts. gucci wife-beater. and gold high heels that she stumbled on after i wrote my post. so they definitely do not go together. except here. my love affair ended after she pulled out the obligatory cell phone like a long lost lover.

i'm meeting the dirty hot french nanny this weekend. duster optional. skirt not.

Nick said...

What Jen said.

And Mr. X, I was with you up until the Rush comment. Rush? New World Man?

Really?

And did the sweat shorts have F*A*M*O*U*S A*U*T*H*O*R across the ass?

Ella C. Rotta said...

Limelight

xtian said...

my defense of rush would be longer than ayn rand paragraph, so i'll encapsulate. their lyricist neil peart is not only widely known as one of the greatest drummers on planet earth, he writes searching, unique and intellectual words (based partly on rand's philosophies) that no bands ever approached. they had a big impact on me in the day.

ella mentions "limelight" their paen to fame which contains the self-reflexive line "i can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" -- openly questioning the boundaries of their status. and no band ever wrote a better song about the nature of commercial music in "the spirit of radio" and their songs typically question/analyze individualism versus collectivism etc.

peart has also written three books about his world travels, including his most recent dealing with the loss of his wife and daughter in one year.

and when i saw them in concert finally last year at the hollywood bowl, peart did the most amazing drum solo i've ever seen.

of course, if you hate the sound of geddy lee's voice (as a few do), then nothing can be done...

and nick, i have shorts that say F*A*M*O*U*S A*U*T*H*O*R across the ass. got a problem?

Bridget said...

I want a pair of F*A*M*O*U*S A*U*T*H*O*R ass shorts. And I want them in a lite lime color.

Jen said...

rush-shmush. how was the nanny?

xtian said...

the nanny had to move into another place as my room is open until october. pity.

but there is always the ol standby, the cardboard sign in the window reading:

ROOM TO LET: HOT WRITER SEEKS HOTTER NANNY