Friday, July 27, 2007

Lettuce and other distractions of the moment

Last night, I dreamt that I bought lettuce, and a moment ago I was going to make lunch with it, but the making of lunch is happening in the realish world while the lettuce buying happened in the dreamish world. Perhaps I am sleeping too much.

In the dreamish world, I also finished the piece I am due to turn in for our meeting on Monday. In the realish world, it is a pathetic thing. My to do list is full of ephemera: catch up on work email, clean the toilet (which is analogous to writing), watch three hours of reality television, cry over ex-boyfriend, read backlogged New York Times magazine, make steak salad, write blog entry.

But the question is: how can you create David Lynch-like noise in 2D black on white? What does Florence smell like at dusk? How does your female narrator describe the chalk line between a man's welcome attention and the aggression that sets her overactive imagination toward the irrational?

Any help would be welcome.

3 comments:

Nick said...

It's the same ol' same ol. Just submit the words, and we'll tell you on Monday how we feel about them, how you can make them better.

xtian said...

an excellent question.

Benjamin Russack said...

What does Florence smell like at dusk?

Dusty, Pidginy.

How does your female narrator describe the chalk line between a man's welcome attention and the aggression that sets her overactive imagination toward the irrational?

There is no line. And if there is, it is a line which changes based on her mood, who he is, and what environment she's in. It's the smart guys that know how to keep track of all those elements who get all the chicks. I know this. I am not one of those smart guys. How often I refrain from stepping over the newly minted line is a matter of luck. That's why the numbers game is so important. If you have 100 conversations in a night, chances are that you will err on the correct side at least four or five times.