Wednesday, August 1, 2007

You are all cordially invited to George and Martha's for an evening of fun and games.


Okay, so I’m going to save the sappy I love you all like homemade peach ice cream on the porch in July (but I do) and just get straight to the point of things…Potter.

Now, sadly, I wasn’t there to here the police in Alameda story: Shame on them, [I will be up north August 12-16 (fishing for invites? Yes.)] but having just returned from the tropics, I have a thing or two to say about Potter....The FIRST thing: is that 9 out of every ten readers were reading Potter (and no, sadly, the tenth was NOT reading Shawna Ryan's genius book as we all are, they were reading about Lindsay Lohen’s bracelet or Paris’ beaver) and what’s even more shocking was that probably, and perhaps I’m prone to hyperbole, but I was on a lot of aeroplanes, and beaches and sat and sipped poolside more than my usual and just maybe I’m right when I say every 7 out of 10 people were reading.

So here it is…nothing new…the old yah, but they’re reading / but Oh! What they’re reading debate and I’m not going to comment exactly, just toss it out there and let it dangle and sigh. Because they were all reading it. And not just the young and sunburned ones. The leathery old ones and the dolce-gabbana-clad pretty ones too. Really, with their Dior glasses and their Smart Water, they were turning pages of a book fatter then their waists—an orange one that clashed, at that—with their manicured nails and that’s it. That’s what I’m dropping onto groop. Discuss.

Or maybe really what I want to say is, and this is the SECOND thing that can be chalked up to my novel, now titled THIRST, being shopped for an endlessly LONG time, with toes crossed eating wood, only two rejections thus far and everyone else tossing out words like “adore” and “fantastic” and “on the fence” and the second thing I want to say is: why does it have to be the Meg Ryan character? I mean, love her hair, but aren’t we all ready for an Elizabeth Taylor? Or a Mia Farrow? Or a Joanne Woodward?

Don’t we all want to be cordially invited to George and Martha's for an evening of fun and games?

4 comments:

Jen said...

I always did like George and Martha. Perhaps too much...

Anyhoo...Bridget, I miss you! Come play with us and come play on Monday the 13th of August. We could have groop and drink martinis and talk about Thirst and you could crash on my terrible couch. Groop has nothing kind to say about my couch, but still it is a couch. And it does convert to a bed. Granted, a very skinny bed, but you're also very skinny, so it works.

Ella C. Rotta said...

Bridget, Actually, it should be Monica Vitti in La Notte. The Director Michelangelo Antonioni has died but his irresistible heroines live on..

I have an aerobed--very comfy, but you have to show up on Tuesday, August 14, when I'm back from the land of Willa Cather and (urgh) Billy Collins.

Ella C. Rotta said...

Vitti

Bridget said...

she kind of looks like Eliza B, no?