Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Blogctivity

Activity on this blog has gotten a bit slow, I've noticed. Not that I'm criticizing. Have you heard from me, lately? Groop hasn't met recently, sure. And it's the holidays.

But there are some things to discuss. First of all: who. Jen has a personal statement she needs us to read. Since it's short, we could also discuss someone else's story, chapter, partial chapter, column, or holiday card missive. Volunteers?

Oh, I know what you're thinking. What about you, Ella? Weren't you in the cafe with Jen while she was writing her personal statement? Weren't you working on the next chapter in your novel?

Yeah. Didn't go so well. Working on it, though. And haven't even started on any sort of holiday card activity.

Okay, so ya'll haven't been writing either. But have you read anything decent? Me? I've been reading blogs about ebook readers. Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever heard? Reading about the possibility of reading?

Okay, I have been reading other things, but I'm not allowed to talk about it. All I know is this: it is very hard to write about grief. In fact, you can't write about it. If you do, it can lean toward the overly-sentimental, embarrassingly so. You have to write around it, or it just doesn't work.

8 comments:

Benjamin Russack said...

Write the sentemental crap. Who the hell cares, even if it is misspelled. Some playwrite once said that we need our bad plays. They're like the fertilizer that everything good grows out of. Actually he said shit, which was good of him. I think if I increased the humidity in my room all my shit might begin to sprout. What say you?

xtian said...

Some of my perceived best writing has been done in the throes of grief. I got three good scripts from one broken heart. Not a bad deal.

It's also highly therapuetic. And free.

Jen said...

all right. well I was hoping not to torture all of you with the personal statement but since that's all I got right now, writing-wise, that's all I can offer. sorry!

we need a groop email and a plan. I'll send one out.

We also need a groop holiday party. with books.

Xtian, you need to come up and celebrate with us.

Jen said...

oh s--t! hey, by the way, Happy belated (as usual!) birthday, Xtian!

xtian said...

thank you thank you. i'll be up the week of xmas, so i expect a b-day/xmas/hanukah/kwanza blow-out.

Jen said...

okay well see now, that's poor timing, because I'll be in Seattle the week of X-mas!

We need better coordination, people!

So which days exactly will you be up here?

I'm gone from the 21st to 30th.

xtian said...

Jen, please check with me first before you make travel plans.

I will be there post xmas, probably the 27-2. New Years Eve in the Bay? Where's that party?

Jen said...

Uh yes, likewise xtian.

well cool. I have no idea where the party is, but wherever it is, I'll be there.

Pencil me in somewhere while you're in town and if you need a not particularly comfortable couch to crash on, I got one for ya!